Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I Have an Addiction, Sir.

Whenever we would have tea together, my Grandmom always said, "I like my tea the way I like my men: strong and a little blond." I probably should've questioned her a little more about this statement beings as my Grandfather was a brunette, but I never did. I'd just wait until she took the bag out before I handed her the milk.

I sincerely believe that all the women in my family are genetically addicted to tea (the men are partial to their scotch, but that's a story for another day).
Every one of us is Irish and English within an inch of our lives; we never stood a chance. The second thing any of us will ask you after you arrive (after "how are you?") is if you'd like a cup of tea. Are you not feeling well? Then have a cuppa tea. Did your day go badly? I'll put the kettle on. It's reached a level in my life where my dear friend in Altoona took me straight from the train station to the tea cupboard in her house and said, "Whenever you feel like it, just help yourself. I know how you feel about your tea."

Visiting my family in N. Ireland, I had my first high tea...and also my second in the same day. Thousands of miles away from my Grandmom's dining room in Collingdale, I still felt at home in Uncle Billy and Aunt Dolly's living room as Uncle Billy raised his mug and said, "I never thought I'd be having a cuppa tea with ya."

When I moved back from Chelts, I smuggled as much real English tea across the Atlantic as possible. Some of it was fancy, expensive tea, but the majority was just plain old Tesco brand. It was lovely, and I tried to make it last as long as possible. However, when one averages about five cups a day, well, the supply dwindles quickly. It's a sad fact that American tea sucks. Some types, like Tetley British Blend come close, but I still find myself spending a little extra money on Twinings' Irish Breakfast or Prince of Wales. The best I've had since coming back to the States was a loose leaf blend that Rictor's dad brought back from Russia. Clearly that doesn't count.

And when I go back this year, it'll be tough to resist the temptation to bring an extra suitcase solely for tea smuggling. I'm sure I'll manage, tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment