Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Yards Brewery

On a rainy Saturday, my brother Budd and I took the brewery tour at Yards Brewery on Delaware Ave in Philadelphia. It's a super small local brewery, but the beer is fab (and the tour is free). As a bonus, there is a tasting room with a long, u-shaped bar on one side and pool and air hockey tables on the other.

Our tour guide looked like our Uncle Doug. So, for argument's sake, let's call him Doug. He offered us free samples of an IPA and the George Washington Porter. Being partial to the darker beers, I tried the porter. I made the mistake of letting Budd try a sip. Though he extolled the virtues of the lighter IPA, he also wouldn't give me back my tiny cup of porter.

Mean.

Whilst Doug was giving the tour, he also sipped from a pint of the George Washington Porter. And when I say sipped I really mean that he took long, unapologetic swigs. I didn't blame him one bit.

(Budd by the bottling machine)

(Me too)
It was a quick tour, and if you've been on other brewery tours (as we had done), there's a lot of the same stuff about hops and yeast, etc. It was still interesting (especially to hear how they properly dispose of the yeast and such), and our tour guide was really the best. We actually spent more time in the tasting room appreciating the final product. It's a lot fun, and I'm sure we'll go back to get a growler to take home....though the growler shown below is too big to stand upright in my fridge. Needless to say, my fridge still kind of smells like the George Washington Porter.

(Budd and the growler)

(Cheers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment