Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Dog of My Dreams

Growing up I always had a black lab. They're a little hyper when they're younger, but they're extremely loyal and sweet. Our first black lab never bit or scared my brother and me; even when we'd chase her around the house. She used to drag my brother (who was three at the time) around on the floor by holding the end of a tea towel. He would hold on to the other end and slide along on his diapered bottom. She was a good guard dog and also respected my parents' decree that she not be allowed on the carpet. But whenever there was a thunderstorm, she raced upstairs and curled up on my bed. I liked that.

A few years ago, my sister and I were watching the hound portion of the Westminster dog show. Suddenly, there he was...an Irish wolfhound. Impossibly tall, shaggy as anything, and a dusty gray color; I loved him immediately (and he won for his group). This is the kind of dog I plan on getting someday. 

Someday being when I have a house and a yard/farm large enough to accommodate a 7 foot tall dog. Or maybe we should call him a small horse as opposed to just a dog.... Either way, how lovely would it be to curl up next to such a tame beast?

Currently I will stick to Hank. He's space efficient and is currently sitting on top of his cage, curled up into a sleeping puffball.

No comments:

Post a Comment