Monday, November 15, 2010

Out of Office

Last week I spent several rainy days in Portland, Oregon. It was a work trip (so not much time for exploring), but I managed to find some time to break away on my own. Portland is a nice city for getting around inexpensively (read: free public transportation), and even though the weather was chilly and rainy it felt like appropriate fall weather.



On Wednesday, Irma from Books and I went to the well-known Powell's Bookstore on our lunch break. It was the only full day without rain-which was good because we ended up walking several blocks from the light rail stops.I'm not sure how long we were in the bookstore, but it wasn't enough time to fully explore the four stories of books on anything and everything imaginable.

We stopped at a bakery for sandwiches and then easily found the route back to the train. The neighbourhood was nice and filled with cafes and small parks...where we were suddenly confronted with some wildlife:



And I almost didn't make it back....

But everything turned out fine in the end, and now I'm back in Pennsylvania where the weather can't make up its mind and there are no elephants (but we do have a giant clothespin).

(Me in Portland)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the postcard! Free public transportation ... you know, the more I learn about Portland, the more I like about that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be warned though: it seems to be where hippies go to spend their golden years. I saw lots of old, toothless men with long, white beards and tye-dyed clothing. Someone at work called it "Seattle's forgotten cousin." But it's still pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete