Monday, November 22, 2010

Uncomfortable Language

I am someone who can comfortably say that I love words and languages. I'm even starting to get the hang of the Daunting Crossword Puzzle as a form of amusement. However, there are the privileged few words that actually make me cringe whenever I hear or read them. Like the memory of an awkward experience in elementary school or that time you had five cavities and needed two trips to the dentist and 8 shots of Novocaine to fix them, these words pop up to haunt me at the strangest moments.

The following is by no means a comprehensive list:
  • Moist: The ickiness of this word needs no explanation, though it does often remind me of used diapers
  • Slice: I can literally picture someone's arm being cut off when this word is used...even in conjunction with the word "pizza" as in "slice of pizza"
  • Flesh: Conjures similar imagery as the word above; used together is awful as is the saying "a pound of flesh." This word often came up in my writing classes in the phrase, "Let's flesh out that idea." I wonder if Dr. Lake ever saw me shudder every time he said that. And really, "flesh out?" What kind of sense does that make?
  • Hopper: as in the toilet. I've never heard it used as anything else. I'm not sure I want to.
  • Preggo: Almost like you're pregnant with an Eggo waffle or something.
I'm sure there are a few more; the problem is just that they're words that you hear, dislike, and then immediately try to dismiss from your mind.

**edit: I did come up with a phrase that bothers me too: tapped as in "he was tapped to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress." I have no logical reasoning why this should bother me. 

2 comments:

  1. How about "poised", as in "Our company is now poised to handle online shopping"? I picture each person in said company, dressed in a tutu, standing on toes, arms over heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh agreed! Or like their arms are raised and about to dive into a pool.

    ReplyDelete