Friday, October 1, 2010

A Royal Audience

What would you do for a chance to meet someone like Her Royal Highness, The Queen of England? I would do almost anything because I have royal-itis. This subject came up between myself and my esteemed work colleague (who is also a red-head, incidentally) this afternoon. 

Our most recent company newsletter focused on how a few members of the UK staff met Her Majesty at a recent event. We found it extremely unfair that our UK colleagues get to have all the fun, and both of us agreed that meeting the Queen was better even then meeting the President (any President ever, though I might make an exception for Abraham Lincoln).I feel as though I've done a lot for the company: week-long trips to middle-of-nowhere conferences in Illinois, being forced to sleep in a shady Chicago hotel because my flight home was canceled and the cast/crew of The Dark Knight were taking up all the good hotels, flying to the West Coast every other weekend...surely that warrants a meeting with the Queen!


me at Buckingham Palace (2005)

The closest I have ever gotten to royalty is viewing a pear tree planted by Prince Charles in the gardens at Hampton Court Palace and walking through the great hall where Henry VIII had his lavish parties and hung expensive tapestries. Still amazing, though...

The gardens at Hampton Court as viewed from the Queen's Quarters

But the fact remains that I have yet to meet anyone royal, and until I do, what can I add to the monthly newsletter at work? Meeting the pope might get us close, but it's still not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment