Friday, April 15, 2011

Bakery Love

One of my earliest memories was walking to the local bakery with my mom and getting a cupcake shaped like a Sesame Street character. 

After having lived in the black hole of South Jersey for twenty years, I think my mom and I had given up on the dream of finding a real bakery. Living in the Philly suburbs for all of her life (until the Jersey move) kind of spoiled my mom for good sweets. I know that's why she was so excited when I discovered a good bakery down the street from my house in Morton. 

They even make the Sesame Street Cupcakes of my childhood:

(These are from my birthday March past)

(I found this frog cupcake for my sister's birthday; she loves fondant)

Cakes and cupcakes like these just beat the crap out of supermarket cakes. I'd actually stopped eating a lot of cakes because everyone seems to just get them from the grocery store. Not many people make their own cakes or get them from a bakery....even birthdays celebrated at my office in Philly depended on greasy, heavy cakes from Superfresh. 

Not super. Or fresh.


I'm normally not a person who can't stop eating sweets, but these cupcakes are so good that I can't help it. Having them around is dangerous!

(Jake loves the Cookie Monster)

2 comments:

  1. I hear you! Why are people so obsessed with supermarket cakes??? The cake is almost always either too greasy or too dry and there is always, ALWAYS waaaaaaaayyyyy too much nasty, overly sugary icing all over it. Glad you found your long lost Cookie Monster cupcakes! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you agree! Supermarket cakes are awful...they taste like they're packed so full of preservatives and grease. Ugh. I'll never understand why people at work choose Superfresh cakes over all those real, Philly bakeries....

    ReplyDelete