Monday, January 16, 2012

Inns and Jam

If you're looking for a nice, secluded inn in New Hampshire, may I recommend:




I stayed here with family after a wedding, and it was a lovely old farmhouse. The attached barn has been converted into another wing of the inn, and the contrast between the thick wood paneling in the television room (no, there are no televisions in the guest rooms...this was surprisingly nice) and the light, floral wallpaper in the guests' hallway gives one a strange sense of calm.




Old-fashioned latches are also a lovely touch. But they don't carry an affected air; instead, you get the sense that they are there to do only what they were made to do- latch!




Many of the items have been re-used in interesting ways. This schoolhouse desk/chair was in the bathroom. My sister used it as a place to put her makeup, but the picture of a desk in the loo was quaint and more than a little funny. 






And let's not forget the rooms that remind me of my grandparents (if my grandparents had owned a little farmhouse)- and also a little of Anne of Green Gables:




(probably my favourite kind of wall paper)


(Tavern named after one of the innkeeper's dogs)


(in the television room)








In addition to being friendly and cooking insanely good food for all meals, the Innkeeper and his wife make their own jam! I bought some strawberry rhubarb (which is delicious), and my mom got raspberry and green tomato. The jam is also low on sugar in case that is a concern (it always is for us).

4 comments:

  1. So, if we can't make it to PEI this summer (or, maybe next summer, depending on my job situation), we could always go here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might be able to (depending on my job situation too)! It's seriously in the middle of nowhere but might be nice in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing (of many) that I like about you is how you believe in relaxation. It can be in the middle of nowhere and we will nevertheless enjoy ourselves. Of course, PEI would be best.


    (Did you know I did a report on PEI when I was in 6th grade?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that about your report! Um, fate?

    I love that they call it "the friendly island."

    ReplyDelete