Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Acceptable Smoking

Since today is cold, wintery, and I had a doctor's appointment, I decided that it was time to go looking for one of my favourite men to cheer me up. After 10 minutes of rooting around in my pantry looking for a white box, I found him nestled in his small brown box on the vase shelf. Here he is, Otto:



Otto is my rauchmann (smoker man) that I was lucky enough to find at the annual Christkindlmarkt in Mifflinburg, Penna. I went with the lovely Rodgers family a few years ago, and people were literally running over each other for these wee men. The tiny trailer where the shop was set up had räucherkerzen in all shapes and sizes: hobos, barmaids, and I think even someone in a bubble bath. But the problem was that shoppers had to move in one direction; there really wasn't any going back to the beginning of the line. I had to look fast, but Becca helped narrow them down. And somehow, in all that madness, we found Otto.

I am pretty anti-smoking, but beings as this man has no lungs and isn't smoking anything addictive it's fine with me if he smokes away. Besides, he looks so jolly doing it.

3 comments:

  1. My chimney sweep (similar to yours) and Becca's St Peter have also come out of hiding and are known to enjoy an aromatic pipe of an evening, to the concern of the kitties and the delight of the humans. http://www.christkindl-markt.com/history-german-smokers-a-40.html for a bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe. I also gave one to my little brother; his is a hobo complete with handkerchief bag.

    Thanks for the link too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, please send me a picture of Cob's hobo and your Rauchermännchen hanging out together!

    ReplyDelete