Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sock Monkey!

For Christmas, I bought my goddaughter the Complete Adventures of Curious George (found at a book fair for something like 40% off!). She's only a year old, though, so I also wanted to get her something she could play with/chew on. In keeping with the monkey theme, I made her a sock monkey.

I cut up one red heel sock and kept the second for the body:






Even though I cut the socks according to the directions his ears kind of came out a bit too large for his face. You can see how thin he is too (despite my adding lots of stuffing), but I loved him anyway.  In a way, though, he sort of resembles Prince Charles (which is probably what I would've named him if he was my sock monkey to keep).


Because Adrienne is just one year old, I didn't want to add button eyes. So I embroidered the eyes instead (another alternative could be felt eyes, but I didn't have any felt bits).



The monkey looked pretty cold, so I knitted him a hat and scarf....after all, it's cold in Missouri too (where he was heading).



This morning I finished him up and curled him inside the box with the book about his monkey friend. I was genuinely sad to see him go; I got really attached to the wee man.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift, Mel! I love the sock monkey's tiny hat and scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steph! I made the hat from a preemie pattern (except I had to shrink the pattern).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love him! The hat and scarf are the best. You totally have to make little accessories for him as additional gifts as the years go on. You've inspired me to try my hand at sock-monkeying around now ... or at least after I finish all of my in-the-midst projects! :)

    ReplyDelete