Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What Not to Wear: Yoga Class Edition

At my new yoga studio, there is a man who wears bicycle shorts to class. He's a tall, thin man, and as lovely as it is that he's doing yoga and being healthy, I just can't help but groan inwardly when he shows up wearing those black, spandex shorts. As he walks by cradling his mat and water bottle, I cross my fingers that he won't take up the space directly in front of me. Luckily, he seems to be the kind of guy who likes to be in the front of the class while I always hide way in the back.

He's definitely not the most awkward yoga classmate I've ever experienced, however. At a different studio, there was Sweaty Guy. This fella wore pinky rings and grunted and groaned like he was mistaking the studio for the weight room. One time, in a particularly crowded class, he almost fell over onto Steph (who was able to get out of the way quickly and discreetly). 

Another odd bird was Hairy Guy; a man who consistently needed to remove his shirt halfway in to the class only to reveal a hairy torso that would make Robin Williams proud (No wonder he was so overheated....). Hairy Guy fell asleep once at the end of a class and began to snore loudly...well, it was loud to me since I had the misfortune of being right next to him. 

Yes, one of the main points of yoga is acceptance: accepting how far you are able to push yourself (or not push yourself) as well as hanging out with a lot of different people during your workout. But at the same time, working out in groups can be a bit awkward, and it would be nice if you kept your sweat to yourself.

My point is simply this: wear roomy shorts/pants and please try not to snore.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sweaty Guy! I had blocked him out of my brain. You forgot to mention that he sweated so much that his mat was wet by the end of class. Gross!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally gross; I forgot about the sweaty mat too.

    ReplyDelete