Monday, February 14, 2011

A Love for Hard-to-Find Books

On Monday past I was pretty down (February is always a rough month for me; this one more than others). So in an effort to cheer myself up, I bought a lovely little used copy of My Life in France by Julia Child. It was important to me to get a copy with the original cover, so I went to the old standby Abebooks

I kind of came across this site in an odd way-through a recommendation by my dentist. We often talk about books since I was an English major and am now in library school, and he was an English minor back in the 70s (card catalog conversations are also the norm). He mentioned to me once that his grandfather was a writer in Russia (I believe he wrote some novels), but all of his books were all out of print or hard to come by. So in his searches, he found this abebooks site and was able to locate all of his grandfather's books-and one was autographed! Some of them are in Russian whilst others have been translated into English, but for someone who never really got to know their grandfather, seeing this side of the man would be invaluable.

1 comment:

  1. I always love this story. Thanks for reminding me about AbeBooks. I have some titles I should try to find there.

    ReplyDelete