Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yet Another Book Recommendation

About the time that the movie Julie & Julia came out (the "Julie" being one of the most unsympathetic characters ever...but that is a topic for another day), I decided to go to the library not for Mastering the Art of French Cooking (aspic doesn't sound like anything I'd like to eat) but instead for the memoir My Life in France by Julia Child. I didn't really know much about Julia-save for the fact that she was quite tall, and my mom did a Dan Ackroyd-esque impression of her cooking after having too much sherry.

What I found when I read this book was one of the loveliest, funniest, and most determined women. And I think the thing I like the most about her was her enthusiasm for life. She had the normal but frustrating problems that we all do (apartment is too small, people are mean, I'm not good at this but I want to be), but she enjoyed her life. And I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her life. I hope to do so again soon.

Also, I think that we might've gotten along...this is reinforced by the fact that I didn't like the "Julie" character (even Amy Adams couldn't redeem her for me), and according to the J&J book and the movie, Mrs. Child herself wasn't a fan either.

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to check that out. I love having time to read again (finally) after graduating! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will really like it! Let me know. :-)

    ReplyDelete