Monday, March 21, 2011

Bugs For Dinner

I don't know if it was due to the author's way with words or just the fact that I'm feeling a bit out of sorts this week, but I found myself almost persuaded to consider eating bugs (key phrase here being "almost persuaded to consider").


I did get the sense, though, that the cook who praised the open-mindedness of children doesn't really understand children. Yes, a child might not think it's weird to eat bugs unless their parents tell them so (or make gagging noises like my mom would), but children also eat dirt and paste and stick buttons up their noses. Does that really classify them as open minded? Would you say to your son, "Well done, Tommy!! Sticking that M&M in you nose really shows that you are receptive to experiencing all life has to offer you."

I'm not saying kids are stupid (in fact, most kids are a lot smarter than adults give them credit for), but instead I mean that just because your five-year-old doesn't see anything wrong with eating bug candy doesn't mean he/she has better taste. 

If you're that desperate for protein, wouldn't it be less weird/gross/expensive to just eat some chickpeas or a handful of cashews?

Also, I discovered why the word "meal" freaks me out; because it's part of the word "mealworm."

No comments:

Post a Comment