Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicago

When I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago (Query: why do people there call it "Chicagoland"?), I went to the Art Institute of Chicago for the afternoon. It is a massive place with a lot of famous paintings (some shown below). I am more of a person who likes paintings (the impressionist section was quite nice); I have trouble really getting the super modern art (a la Jackson Pollack and friends).

There were several Monets ("Water Lillies" below) which I stared at so long the staff probably wondered if I was casing the joint.

(Water Lillies) 















And in another gallery, tucked back in what felt like a hidden nook, I found this woman all dressed up and writing about the paintings. She was super fancy looking, and for a moment I felt like I'd accidentally wandered into a movie from the 1960s.



(A Sunday on La Grande Jatte and myself)



But the one of the best paintings I saw was A Sunday on La Grande Jatte : also seen in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. This was the only famous painting I saw that seemed to be as large as it should be. Many of the other ones were a lot smaller than I thought they'd be.

And I couldn't leave without seeing "American Gothic." That was a fun one too...even if Sarah and I got super lost in the modern part of the gallery when we were trying to find it....


(American Gothic)

1 comment:

  1. I'm always surprised in art museums. I find that I go in sort of grudgingly, and always end up finding one or two paintings that I desperately wish I could spend my life looking at. Water Lillies looked amazing; somehow your photo of it made it come alive for me more than prints and postcards do.

    ReplyDelete