Friday, March 25, 2011

Deserving of a Clean and Lovely Hotel Room

In planning where to stay in London and Scotland during my upcoming trip across the pond, I've been scouring travel blogs and TripAdvisor for recommendations. So far, I have found a mixed bag of scary airport-adjacent hotels and a few B&Bs to mull over (non-smoking is a must!).

As a friend of mine pointed out, TripAdvisor can be tricky as there are some people who will complain about anything and everything-even if those things are really not so bad (example: you can live without a hairdryer. I promise.). But there was one thing I did notice that bothered me a bit. Many of the negative reviews claimed that even though the tea kettle was filthy, there weren't any sheets on the bed, and the towels were threadbare it was still recommended for single travelers. If you have a family or are on your honeymoon, according to several reviewers, such a room is completely unacceptable. But lone travelers? Oh it's fine for that lot!

Why should such a distinction be made at all? Obviously, places that are family friendly should be promoted as such (especially if you need cribs or kid-friendly food), but a crappy hotel is a crappy hotel no matter who you are or aren't traveling with. It all seems so odd to me; I would never recommend that a couple shouldn't stay in a specific hotel because the bathroom is immaculate, and having two people use it would mess things up too much.

So if you're a lone traveler because you're on a work trip, your significant other couldn't come along, you enjoy traveling alone, or you simply prefer to have some privacy when visiting friends, I feel you are fully entitled to a lovely place to stay. Ignore the charlatans who believe that solo travelers are less deserving of clean sheets and fluffy towels. They are just jealous because you don't have to share.

4 comments:

  1. I can recommend a CLEAN hotel within walking distance to Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express! And another in Edinborough just off the Royal Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I actually arranged to stay with a friend while I'm in London, and I think I found a good place for Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) PREACH ON, SISTER!
    2) I can't wait for you to get back to the Mother Country. I am SO excited for you.
    3) Worst hotel I ever set foot in (ever): http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d568113-r31833244-Grand_Hotel_Magenta-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#REVIEWS#CHECK_RATES_CONT

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that link didn't work, so .... let's try this one.

    ReplyDelete