Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Dear John Krasinski,

I am writing to you with deep sadness and regret to announce that I cannot watch The Office anymore. This has not been an easy decision for me to make, but recent episodes have shown me that things just aren't working. This doesn't have anything to do with you and your portrayal of cute office guy Jim, or the fact that the Jim/Pam relationship has been happily resolved. It's just that those little things that once made the show so memorable have either disappeared or have been replaced by people/situations that just don't make sense (read: Ed Helms's continuing presence).

To follow is a list of grievances:
  • What happened to all the pranks Jim played on Dwight (i.e: the coins in Dwight's phone, convincing Dwight that it was Friday when it was actually Thursday, etc.)? Someone needs to keep Dwight in check (see item 3)!   
  • Ed Helms = NOT FUNNY. 
  • Dwight has crossed that fine line between annoyingly odd and completely sinister. It doesn't look like he's coming back either.
  • Steve Carrell is leaving. I don't care what everyone is saying; it's going to be too weird and uncomfortable  without him (that's what she said).
  • The new receptionist was delightfully dim at first, but now I wonder how she's lived this long without managing to walk headfirst into oncoming traffic...or how she can grasp the intricate workings of the fax machine.
I guess what I'm saying is that I know these changes weren't up to you; it's not your fault. There are no hard feelings here. We had some good times: watching Michael grill his foot, seeing a new side of Dwight when he had that concussion, learning a new level of clever when Daryl taught Michael to speak "ghetto."

But no matter what, we'll always have Chili's.

3 comments:

  1. But the magic bean prank was wonderful! I died when I saw Jim carrying out the tubs of fully grown plants minutes after Dwight planted the seeds.

    But for the rest, yes, I think the show has run its course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think about getting out the old Seasons 1 & 2 DVDs, but then I think it would just be too painful a reminder of what genius the show threw away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually did that last week. I watched the Dundees episode. It was a bit bittersweet. They should've taken a page from the UK version....

    ReplyDelete