Thursday, June 23, 2011

A More Original Irish Holiday

Today I was catching up on my blogs, and Ill Seen, Ill Said had an entry about Bloomsday: an annual event in which James Joyce and his book Ulysses are celebrated. This is mainly carried out in Dublin, and people dress in period costume and read bits (or lots) of Ulysses on the street.

Of course, I automatically thought, "What a pity that these kinds of holidays aren't celebrated in the States." And then I read down a little further and saw that Philadelphia is one of the US cities that actually does participate (after all, we have Joyce's Ulysses manuscript!). It is also done in New York City and Syracuse (and Hungary...depending on your travel situation).

Besides things like Groundhog Day (which isn't celebrated heartily everywhere), I don't think America really has any fun little holidays like this. I'm going to have to keep a sharp eye out for the 2012 Bloomsday Festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment