Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Scotland

Glasgow was my first trip to Scotland. And I really enjoyed it. Actually, I was bummed that I didn't schedule another day there as I found out more and more things to do once I got settled. It is always such a tricky thing to decide how long is long enough in a place you've never visited before. 

I was also confronted with some funny moments. I always think that a country's stereotypes (both good and bad) are blown out of proportion by those of us who are foreigners. Example one: haggis. I expected it to be around, but I honestly was shocked at how prevalent it was! My first night there, I ate at the restaurant across from my guesthouse, and they had at least two haggis dishes on the menu...not to mention this sign out front:


Example two: bagpipers. I know they exist and are probably more common in Scotland, but I was surprised when I could hear bagpipe music as I walked down the street. The bagpipers in the photo below were practicing in Kelvingrove Park, and I was pleasantly surprised to find them. They sounded amazing!

(bagpipers in Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow)

Example three: you can't understand what people are saying. For the most part, people in the service industry are fine, but I really had to pay attention to my bus tour guide. Don't get me wrong: I thought the accent was fantastic! But there were  definitely times when I didn't get what he was saying at first. However, it did make it easier to understand some of my cousins in N. Ireland!
(Glasgow Bus Tour: The Grand Old Lady)

(Myself on the bus tour)

(steep stairs to my room in the guesthouse)

(Kelvingrove art gallery and museum)

All in all, I really want to go back to Glasgow. People told me it was dirty and gross and not to be surprised if I saw sewage in the streets. But I enjoyed myself (and didn't see any sewage, thank God!).

1 comment:

  1. You definitely hit up Glasgow at a time better suited to show off its good side than I did! I love seeing your travel posts. And I loved receiving postcards from both Oxford and Scotland. Thanks for including me in your travels!

    ReplyDelete