Monday, January 17, 2011

Comfortable Language

Even though I think I am a mostly glass half full kind of person, sometimes I feel like I'm too negative.There are many factors contributing to my negativity, but some days are worse than others. In an effort to combat these frustrating/negative feelings, here is a list of words I like to bookend my list of words that make me feel ill.

Disclaimer: These are in no particular order or language.

Phantasmagoric: I first read this word in an Edgar Allan Poe story; I first heard it used in conversation in Dr. Roth's creative writing class. I just love the sound of it and all the crazy mental images it conjures up.

Insuppportable: Spanish for insupportable. This is one of those words that I understand completely in Spanish, yet I struggle to explain it in English.

Whilst: Gleaned from my British obsession. I just love how it connects the sentence together so much better than "while." I admit that when someone uses it in everyday conversation, it can sound a bit pompous, but it's just so aesthetically pleasing. And I must also confess that I use it sometimes in everyday conversation/emails. It just slips out.

Bananarama: All-girl pop group from England in the 1980s (recently staged a come-back tour). Technically more of a name than a general word, but I always wish there were more occasions to say "Bananarama" with an English accent.

Oy: There are endless situations that could use a good "oy." I don't think you need to be Jewish to say it. The Jewish people I know are all really nice, so I don't think they'd mind sharing their "oy." To follow are some examples of how I use oy:
  • "Oy! I've never been so tired."
  • "Oy! Why would he want to marry her?"
  • "Oy! the amount of crap I carry in this bag is unbelievable"
  • and my personal favourite: "Oy with the poodles already!"

Flughaffen: German for airport. Ties with Schuss for my favourite German word(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment