Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fighting with Hank

How sad is it that I'm currently having a fight with my pet cockatiel...and that I feel bad for punishing him? And by punishing him, I mean keeping his cage (mostly) covered and not talking to him for 24 hours. He has been so awful lately. He screams bloody murder every time I uncover the cage or try to let him out. And every time I peek into his cage to make sure he has water/food/is still alive, he hisses at me.

Then, the other night he did a pretty gross thing. I finally coaxed him out, and he sat there on top of his cage looking around. Quietly, he edged over to the side of the cage. I thought he might take off and fly around the apartment, so I started taking my clean clothes off of the drying rack and folding them up so they wouldn't get feathers on them. Hank stared at me the entire time, malice in his beady little bird eyes.

Until....

He puffed himself up really big, and then let the biggest poo drop directly onto the carpet. And he held my gaze the whole time as if to say, "This is what I think of you, lady!" It was disgusting...I had no idea such a big turd could come out of a little bird. 

I couldn't get to the bottle of carpet cleaner fast enough. 

So uncool, Hank.

I don't know if he just wants to hibernate the winter months away, if he is going through the terrible twos, or if he has decided to reinvent himself as Emo Bird. But I hope he snaps out of it soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sad! I hope he comes out of his funk, too. I've found my cats respond well to cat pheromone sprays. Maybe if he keeps this up, you can see if there's a bird version of that.

    ReplyDelete