Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Kindle?

A very good friend of mine recently asked me if I wanted a kindle for Christmas.Thankfully, she understood why I said "no, thank you" (though I really appreciated and was surprised by the offer!). I just love real books too much (my very good friend also shares this sentiment): the feel of the paper, the smell (of old books and new), and the freedom to underline a favorite phrase. Speaking from a student's perspective, I also really appreciate the ability to flip back and forth easily-especially when I'm looking for a specific part of the book but am unclear on the exact chapter it's located in.

I will admit that loading several books onto the slim, easy-to-tote kindle/nook/what-have-you would be worlds better than jamming 6 hardback books into my carryon bag (and occasionally forgoing an extra shirt or two just to accommodate), but I just can't bring myself to convert. I get tired of looking at a computer screen (even though the e-readers are reputed to have excellent back lighting and are easier on the eyes than a tv or computer screen), and I daily look forward to reading an actual book on my lunch break or on the train.

Bring on the paperbacks! I suppose I'm just an old-fashioned kind of girl.

2 comments:

  1. I’m beginning to feel alone in this argument, but I am all for the Kindle and often wish for one. I feel like I’m around paper all day and that I wouldn’t miss the feel of it. I only like a certain type of book smell (it’s hard to describe, but I know it when I smell it) which is usually only found in books containing pictures. Underlining is not my thing so that wouldn’t be a big sacrifice. I don’t like marking books (even cracking the binding saddens me a bit) and prefer to keep them as pristine as possible.

    No, I think the Kindle is a good thing. I would never give up the books I already own, nor would I stop buying new hardback books, but for everyday commuter reading I think a Kindle would perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't alone. :-) I've been seeing so many people on the train lately reading from Kindles. Even my littlest brother's girlfriend has one. I don't think Kindles spell the death of paper books; they seem like a nice alternative, and I've read often about how manufacturers work hard to make the lighting comfortable for your eyes.

    This subject comes up so much in my library classes, and the general consensus seems to be that e-books will phase out regular books (did you know you could borrow e-books from some libraries? I didn't and feel a little silly for saying so.). But I think there is room for both print books and e-books. :-)

    ReplyDelete