Monday, January 24, 2011

When Winter Does Its Thing

Today I took the train (the only train) back to Philly from Altoona. I spent a lovely long weekend at my friend Becca's house, and it was so nice to get away for a bit. 

Anyway, it was so cold this morning (zero degrees according to Becca's thermometer), and the train was delayed two hours because the signals/switches were frozen. This happened around Johnstown where the train just sat for quite a while. This gave Becca and I the chance to stop by Tom & Joe's for some much needed tea and coffee before I finally got on my way.

Regardless of the delay, I still like train travel better than flying. Yes, flying is so much more convenient when you have to be somewhere that you have hotel reservations or work obligations, but when you're just going to visit someone and have a laid back weekend it's nice to have a laid back trip to your destination.

Because I clearly like to make lists, here are some reasons why the train is much better:
1. No size limits for your liquids. (I can't explain how happy I was to bring my normal-sized perfume bottle)
2. Reasonable luggage limits; plenty of overhead and end of the car storage too (the end of the car storage can get tricky sometimes, though). Remember: the heavier the suitcase, the more weightlifting you should probably do beforehand.
3. Footrests and ample leg room for us tall people (at no extra cost...suck it airlines!)!!
4. Decent-sized loos; you don't have to feel like you're peeing in a broom closet (though they're still public loos so sometimes they're as gross as the airplane).
5. No getting to the station two hours (or more) ahead of time.
6. No invasive pat-downs or mandatory shoe removal.
7. If you're sitting on the aisle, no one comes along with a drink cart and smacks you in the elbow/foot/side of your head.

Now all I need is more allotted travel time for work trips, and I'm all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment