Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jimmy Stewart Museum

As a (one of the best) surprise, Becca took me to the Jimmy Stewart Museum Sunday past. I was so excited; I'd wanted to go there for ages (or ever since I knew it existed). We drove an hour over winding roads and snowy lanes to get there, and even though it was terribly cold out, it was so worth it.
(statue of Jimmy outside city hall)

(Becca in front of the museum)






















The museum is located in Jimmy's home town of Indiana, PA, on the third floor of the public library (because librarians are way cooler than you may have been led to believe). Inside are private photos, memorabilia from Jimmy's dad's hardware store, biographical information, information about Jimmy's films and Air Force service, costumes, and replicas of both his childhood bedroom and his office (the office is all of Jimmy's own stuff; everything is arranged in the same way that he arranged it). The guide who was working on Sunday was so fab; he was friendly and knowledgeable. You could tell he was into Jimmy as well. They even show a Jimmy Stewart film in the old-fashioned theatre in the museum.

(the Jimmy Stewart Museum)


If you've never seen a Jimmy Stewart film, then you really are missing out. He did so many films that there's really something for everyone. Some of my other favourites include The Philadelphia Story (which he won an Oscar for), Vertigo, Harvey, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Jimmy has been part of my life since I was a child. I grew up watching his films, my family watches It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas Eve, and even my high school history teacher used to quote Jimmy in class ("I want a big one!") He is truly one of the greatest actors ever, and he's someone who was also a wonderful person. They seriously don't make them like that anymore. 

(Love)


(Spending some time with Harvey)


Please visit the museum if you are ever in the Pittsburgh area. Or make it a reason to drive to Pittsburgh or a nearby city. It's worth the drive (a drive which you might even enjoy because of the rolling hills and beautiful fall or spring foliage). You can also purchase Jimmy Stewart related items (films, etc) by shopping on the museum's website. Shopping through the website also helps support the museum.

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm pictured on this website all smiley and giving it my endorsement already, but I have to second this recommendation. It's a great little museum and for the price of admission ($7 if you don't qualify for student or senior discounts), you get not only a museum tour, but also a whole movie on a big screen in a clean theater. Worth it for that alone! Plus, Indiana, PA, is a nice little college town with some fun restaurants and events every so often, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Next time I'd like to go in the spring or fall so I can walk a bit and see more of the town.

    ReplyDelete